Tuesday, March 15, 2011

First Harvest

Today is a great day.  It's the first time I've picked something out of my yard to eat!  I noticed that some of my lettuce mix was prime for picking.  In fact, I measured one piece at 7.5 inches tall.  So I plucked several of the larger leaves and added them to my sandwich.  What a treat! 

For anyone who is new to edible gardening, I would definitely recommend growing lettuce from seeds.  There's something really amazing about watching a pile of dirt quickly turn into lunch.  And I do mean quickly.  I planted these seeds only 32 days ago.  It took just a few days for them to peek through the soil and it's been a joy to be able to notice growth even overnight.  Everyday when I go outside I get excited about big everything has gotten.  If you want to know how excited, just my hubby.  Nearly everyday when he gets home from work I drag him out into the back yard and point out every bit of growth I've noticed.  Ha ha!


I am now starting to see true leaves appear on the swiss chard, carrots, and beets.  And I can't wait to get my hands on that first beet!  Luckily I have my lettuce varieties to keep me patient until then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment