Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rebellion

I was never one of those teenagers who did things just because her parents would disapprove.  My rebellion has always been much more subtle.  It usually comes in the form of not following directions.  Chalk it up to a more creative brain, I suppose.  But the fact is that I often choose to do things my way rather than according to the expert directions.  The main exception to that is when a person gives me directions.  I'm good at following a direct order.  The most recent example of my rebellion came when I was planting my tomatoes and peppers.  Everything I read told me to plant the seeds in little containers indoors and when the seedlings got to a certain size they could be slowly introduced to the great outdoors and later transplanted in the ground.  Here were my thoughts...
  1. Where am I going to put these things in my little apartment?
  2. I don't want to spend more money on little containers to start these things.
  3. This is Southern California- it's probably warm enough outside.
  4. If they don't grow I'll just buy some plants from Home Depot.
So I figured I would give it a go outside.  Worst case scenario? I'm out the three bucks I spent on seeds.  Well, good news- they grew!  Maybe they took a couple weeks longer than they would have indoors but I don't mind.  The tomatoes have just gotten their true leaves this week and they've been in the ground for a month.  And today three little pepper plants just popped up after three weeks in the ground.  I guess sometimes it's OK not to follow directions as long as there's a logical reason for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment