Thursday, March 10, 2011

A New Adventure

I've recently started a new adventure.  Micro-Farming.  Typically micro-farming takes place on two to five acres so maybe I should be calling what I'm doing "extreme micro-farming."  I am working with less than one one-thousandth of an acre or 416 square feet and part of that is cement!  Maybe that seems crazy but that's Orange County apartment life for ya.  Anyone who knows me well can tell you that I'm always interested in the most natural way of doing things even of it tends to be a bit more labor intensive process.  I've really wanted to start an edible garden for a long time but living in an upstairs apartment without even a balcony made that pretty much impossible.  So at the end of 2010 when my hubby and I moved into an apartment with a backyard I was stoked to start growing food for us.  Sixteen feet by twenty-six feet is a big backyard for an apartment but I spent a couple months planning because part of that space would be patio.  Since my gardening experience is limited to helping my mom when I was a kid I borrowed books from the library, picked up several magazines, and spent a bit of time online to expand my knowledge on the subject of edible gardening.  But don't worry, this blog will be more than planting and watering.  I think of micro-farming as a much broader subject that includes recipes, natural remedies, the creative process, and an overall healthy lifestyle.  So I hope you will enjoy this adventure with me!

2 comments: